Chief Operating Officer
Resolve Philly has grown tremendously over the last two years and in keeping up with an expanded scope, reach, and team, the Co-Executive Directors are searching for a Chief Operating Officer to join the team. Those seasoned with deep operations experience, particularly in a startup environment, a commitment to equity, and an interest in journalism/storytelling/community engagement are encouraged to apply. Specifically, Resolve is looking for a leader with experience in scaling an organization and working outside of the box. In addition to being well-versed in the finance and human resource needs of a $2-5M organization, the successful candidate will also be an operations visionary. Creativity and radical imagination are a must.
What You’ll Do
Resolve’s future COO will guide the organization’s operational processes to ensure smooth collaboration and efficient, mission-aligned workflows. You will drive our organizational commitment to equitable and accessible operating systems, practices, people support, professional development, and community-building. You will support in compiling and managing the organization’s budget, alongside Co-Executive Directors and Resolve Philly’s Chief Finance Officer, as well as supervise the operations of Resolve’ Philly’s Center City office. You’ll steward operational policies and procedures, serve as a thought partner and leader in the continued execution of Resolve’s strategic planning cycle, and directly support a team (3-4 in 2021) of operations, HR, and finance professionals. In addition, you’ll:
- Serve as an internal leader of the organization by coordinating the annual strategic calendar, directing our goal-setting process, and providing support for all staff through a strong day-to-day presence
- Directly support Resolve’s operations, finance, and HR staff
- Support the continued growth of Resolve’s HR functions including training, professional development, compensation and benefits, team relationship building and investments, onboarding, and recruiting
- Work with Co-EDs, CFO, and operations team to build on Resolve’s accounting system and financial controls to ensure that the organization has easy access to real-time reporting mechanisms and ongoing cash flow analysis
- Serve as primary support to the Co-EDs throughout the annual budgeting process and on fundraising activities
- Maintain tax and regulatory compliance on behalf of the organization
- Liaise with attorneys, accountants, and other professional service providers
Who You Are
- You are an excellent project manager, highly organized, and able to execute tasks with timeliness and efficiency
- You thrive in a role where a primary focus is enabling others to be their best
- You work well independently but enjoy being part of a team
- You are excited to work in an environment that feels more like a start up than a nonprofit
- You are excited by revenue growth and seeking out new opportunities
- You are a skilled communicator and champion for the employees you support
- You understand that strong relationships are at the core of success in just about any endeavor
- You are able to navigate partnerships with grace and efficacy
- You are able to motivate and inspire people into action, regardless of whether they report to you
- You are self-starting, a quick learner, kind, outgoing, and able to build and maintain relationships with uncommon partners
- You are a proactive person, eager to come up with process and practice solutions and see them through to execution
- You are versed in WordPress and/or Drupal, you love spreadsheets, and you’re fast to adopt new platforms/tools/technologies (Resolve leans heavily on Airtable, Asana, Zapier, and Quickbooks, among others)
We are looking for people who are passionate about the work that we are doing and who are excited to bring their unique set of skills and experiences to the table. If you feel like you’d be a good fit but you’re worried that your experience might not be exactly aligned with what we’ve posted in this job description, please consider applying anyway. We strongly encourage women, BIPOC individuals, returning citizens, LGBTQ+ folks, immigrants, and people with disabilities to apply. Research shows people who have been historically excluded from leadership roles often discount their own experience. We won’t.
This position is full-time. The successful candidate must reside in the Philadelphia area, though we will accept applications from candidates outside the area who are open to relocation. When Resolve’s team returns to the office this September, we’ll return to the hybrid work environment we had prior to the pandemic and the candidate may split their time between working at Resolve Philly’s office space in Old City and working virtually. The salary for this position is $100,000. Resolve offers full medical, dental, vision, and short-term disability benefits, in addition to employer-sponsored life-insurance, wellness and technology benefits, and unlimited paid time off. The ideal candidate will start on August 30, 2021. Interested applicants: Please submit your cover letter and resume, by Monday July 19th at 8pm EST.
Resolve Philly develops and advances journalism built on equity, collaboration and the elevation of community voices and solutions. Our work centers on improving how misrepresented communities are covered by the media. We believe that in a time of widespread mistrust, political division, and industry upheaval, journalists must reconsider not only what they report, but how they find, frame, and tell stories.
We believe deeply in seeing each person as a whole, valuable human. Whether working with us on staff, as a newsroom or community partner, or as a source for a story, each person deserves respect and their personal story to be valued.